Thank you for taking the time to have a look at the link which is supposed to highlight some of the changes we have made while progressing this project from the CAD's to the moving steel.
I have to apologise, I have tried to get this together for you remotely while travelling, so it's not as smooth as I would like.
Below shows how the U Braces and handles are positioned in the trolley, this is important to make sure that the components are positioned in this manner before you push them into the stacking nesting column. If you push the trolley into the nesting column with components in front of this position, you will run the risk of damaging the components. If you try and push the trolley into the nesting column with the bars further back towards the handle you will run the risk of penetrating the column too far and the trolley will be locked inside each other.
Because these units are prototypes, the large run manufacturing techniques will iron out the finite issues.
Pic 1 How they should be set up to stack
Pic 2 Shows how they should look in a stack, so as not to force the base to hard into the stack and cause locking of the bases.
Pic 3 How not to start stacking them, this will leave an opportunity for the bases to become locked.
You will see from the two pictures below, we have designed a couple of differing handles on these units. When we play with these things, we see a really nice way of making them even better than they were in the drawing.
Pat mentioned you like trolleys with swivel castors in the front....... (this is an argument Me, Pat and the Ergo team with have to have at a later date..... hehehehe.....)
But for the moment we have given loads of choices so that you can tell us what you love and what you hate........ Share your conclusions with each other as a team....... if nothing else it will show how difficult my job is trying to keep you all happy.........
So, we widened the handle on a couple of the trolleys. As the bases are fairly heavy on the trolleys, the slightly wider handle should reduce the amount of leverage you need.......... especially if you have a 4 swivel version, or god forbid.... 2 swivel castors at the front and fixed under the handle....... play with the different types of handles with the different castor set ups. You should be able to notice the differences in the stomach muscles.
We also decided after playing with the trolleys that we liked the fact of fixing the handle in place, rather than the original design. You can try both ways. We can provide more fixings if you needed to or wanted to.
You can see the handle differences below (sorry don't have a picture of just the wide handle) first being the wide handle, then the narrow version as per American Cart that you wanted copying....... bettering is a nicer word.
As for using the SAUT Trolleys sorting compartments this is all down to you guys and girls to freestyle. There is no right or wrong way and this is the joy of the design, the components can be picked up and popped back in, in the position to suit the retention of the load you've picked. Thus, keeping more flexibility into the design which allows the operator to be more creative with the loading and become more productive by making the spacing correct for the load.
So, we have added a front skid bumper. For the basis of a ten prototype this is riveted into place, ideally in a long production run this would be an extruded nose, a bit like the shape of a Pac-Man if you're old enough. But it also acts as a skip lip for helping to load the trolley by tilting and sliding onto the base. With the correct design extrusion for the nose, this would also help the top shell of the base from getting damaged in the stack.
When Yeds and I started discussing this project, lets be frank Yeds, you wanted this thing to do everything including stack...........
The trick with stacking trolleys is either having a 15 degree slanted base, or a sprung loaded base that reduces when a load is placed on it.......... Normally a load is a 10 or 15kg box.
Bless Yeds we love him.... well done dad...... but that wasn't good enough for Yeds and he wanted it to flatten on a couple of kilos.....
When these were finished, we played with them to achieve the spring mechanism and it was impossible, so we dreamt up a couple of skid stirrup, which pick up on the nose of the entering trolley,,,, This built some really nice rigidity into the base, but also gave a lovely kick up for the bases being entered.
You can see in the couple of pictures below where they are, and that they are nicely tucked away.
I touched on the castor and wheel set up earlier, however we have attached a spread sheet showing the wheel set ups provided on the trolleys, also the handle types and whether they are fixed or not.
We have also supplied a carton of spare fixed castors, so that you can play with the different configurations.
If you need additional expander bolts to fix more handles, let me know.
We can build, I think 6 differing set ups for the trolley while it's there, and we can refine the ten so that they are all the chosen decided spec of set up......
Again, just keep me informed of the bits you do and don't like and I can either get fixings and castors sent or if you wanted more wide handles i can have these made.